Why We Need Training in the Needs of Students With Autism Workshops in NYS
“Our children with autism will spend the majority of their lives as adults with autism. And considering the lack of adult services, it is in society’s best interest to educate our children using best practices. In order to do that, we need to have an expectation that teachers who teach kids with autism understand autism and that includes using autism teaching competencies to measure that knowledge…. An autism support teacher should have an “autism toolbox of learning” so to speak. If a child has severe behavior, then the teacher can pull out his/her tools about behavior, FBAs, sensory integration, positive behavior support plans, etc. If a child needs to work on social skills, the teacher can pull out his/her tools about teaching social skills, writing social stories or teaching theory of mind, etc.” (Psychology Today).
Autism Training for Educators
If you are an educator in the state of New York you will likely be required in the very near future to take Autism Awareness and Education Training and attend special workshops. If you are not sure if you need the Autism Workshop read this article. These training events are part of a push to help make the school system more open, accessible, and fair for students with varying levels of autism and similar disorders. Here are just a few of the many topics that can be addressed and the points that educators will discuss and learn through this specialized training:
- Learn how students with autism and Asperger’s Syndrome brains work
- Learn creative ways to help these students develop skills to counter their social awkwardness, sensory sensitivities, meltdowns, violent fixations and many other problems they face each day
- Discover nonverbal and verbal exercises to help lesson student anxiety
- Learn ways to help these students channel their feelings of frustration and sometimes violent fixations into more appropriate feelings
- Discover strategies to help these students succeed in the classroom and beyond
- Be prepared to reach and teach students in your classroom with high-functioning autism or Asperger’s Syndrome
- Better understand these students social struggles and have ways to help them cope
- Turn meltdowns and tantrums into more positive learning experiences
- Encourage students with high-functioning autism and Asperger’s Syndrome to reach their full potential, after all, isn’t that why you chose to be a teacher
- Learn how to decode and use IEPs to help students be successful at school
- Examine strategies to make learning fun for students with LDs
- Discover the source of frustration for students with LDs and learn how to engage them
- Explore new and innovative ways to modify your classroom, assignments, and tests
- Gain understanding and compassion for your students with LDs
- Learn how to plan and execute successful parent-teacher conferences
- Increase your effectiveness as a teacher and your ability to reach students with the greatest challenges to overcome
Support for Autistic Students
The ultimate goal in autism awareness and education training is to help students who are on the spectrum have the best chance of a good education, an enjoyable school experience, and to ensure thy are properly prepared for life as an adult.
It takes many people to ensure this happens and educators are a big piece of the puzzle.
This is why New York State Continuing Education Workshops are taking steps to ensure teachers and instructors are properly prepared to teach these children in the best possible way!
Ready to Start?
At Workshops Express, we believe there is a better way to take your required continuing education workshops.